To celebrate the 30th Anniversary and recent re-release of Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader (well played GW, well played!) the Middlehammer group is running a competition for one lucky member to win a custom Strike Force of Rogue Trader inspired miniatures, with a Middlehammer twist!
How do you enter? Simples - you have to contribute one of the models for the Strike force, painted, and if desired converted, complete with a short back story and WH40K Stat line.
The idea is that each person who signs up then gets a vote on a couple of things:
1) Broad theme for the strike force -UPDATE- the group has settled on MERCENARY FREEBOOTERS
Any race from the Warhammer 40,000 universe can be included (barring Necrons, Genestealers/Tyranids and full blown Chaos)
2) A main colour and a secondary colour that will tie each model together in the finished group.
UPDATE - the group has gone for Blue-Grey as the main colour (e.g a mid grey like Space Wold Grey or Shadow Grey etc.) and Bright Orange as the secondary colour. Colours/finishes of armour, weapons, skin colour, straps, gear and so on are all up to the individual painter to select.
The 2014 Oldhammer Legacy Warband group decided upon a multi-racial 'Good Aligned' warband, with Olive Green and Bone as the primary and secondary colours. You can check out their results here to see what I mean.
They've been running every year since and I encourage you to check out the Legacy Project 2015: Space Pirate Crew - , the Oldhammer Legacy Project 2016: C49 Chaos Villagers was pure (evil) genius! They are running a Legacy project again this year on the Oldhammer Forum if anyone is interested.
How does this Legacy Warband thing work anyway?
All participants agree to paint and contribute one model to the pre-agreed theme (to be decided on the Middlehammer facebook page). You paint the model and post it to your friendly neighbourhood organiser (me - StuntCat). All contributors are entered into a draw, and the winner out of the hat wins the whole Strikeforce for their collection!
NB: I am going to contribute a mini, but I won't be putting my name in the draw.
What's the timeframe involved?
Models to be with me (StuntCat in Bristol, UK) by Friday 31st March, with the draw taking place in 1st week in April. - TIME FRAME TO BE CONFIRMED VIA MIDDLEHAMMER FB DISCUSSION
What models can I contribute?
Anything that you think fits with the theme to be agreed on the Middlehammer fb group. The core premise is that it is inspired by the Rogue Trader Universe so I'm guessing that many will go for something Middlehammer in period but themed towards RT somehow. The model could be a straight up RT era classic if you want, but it certainly doesnt have to be. It doesn't even have to be Games Workshop really, if you have something from another range or manufacturer then all good as long as you can make it fit the theme. Conversions are welcome, but again, not essential. If people want to branch out into robots, companion animals, or small vehicles, then that is all good too.
How will this Strikeforce look coherent?
Firstly, the colour scheme will be decided along with the broad theme, via the Middlehammer Facebook group by the people participating. Secondly, and again taking our lead from those who have gone before us, the winner does the basing for the warband. This will ensure that a) the Strikeforce is coherently based and b) the Strikeforce fits into their own collection.
Primary colour = Blue-Grey
Secondary colour = Bright Orange
Colours/finishes of armour, weapons, skin colour, straps, gear and so on are all up to the individual painter to select.
How do I take part?
You can register by responding to the post in the Middlehammer facebook group, or in the comments below this blog post
How will the challenge work?
1.Participants need to register what model they will be contributing via the Middlehammer page as above. This post will be updated with details as we go along.
2. Completed models, with a plain black round base of appropriate size, need to be sent to me at the participants expense, and received by Friday 31st March 2017 (postal address to be supplied privately to participants).
3. Each model to be accompanied by a name, short back story (200 words max), and a Rogue Trader stat line (via email or facebook message).
4. The draw will take place during the first week of April.
5. The winner will be announced here and on the Middlehammer facebook group in the first week of April. I will send the completed strikeforce to the winner via recorded delivery, hopefully to arrive by Easter 2017.
6. The winner posts a picture of them enjoying their new minis on the Middlehammer facebook page with a massive cheesy grin and a big thank you to everyone who took part!
7. It would be great if the winner would also be up for writing a blog post for the new Middlehammer Blog Hub to go with said pictures and cheesy grin, but not if they really don't want to.