Orctober 2016! Woooohoooo! *Ahem* I mean Waaaaaaggghhh! ...obviously.
Firstly and most importantly, big shout out to Erny, the Oldhammer blogging legend behind Orctober, for this year's banner! And to his brother Snickit for
This was supposed to be a post detailing my Orctober pledge. Sadly it has been another busy month of REAL LIFE and even my week off, planned to be full of nerdly goodness, was hijacked both being poorly and looking after poorly family members. Booooo!
So, it is a post detailing my meagre efforts for Orctober 2016 retrospectively. However, without the motivation of the monthly painting theme I'm not sure I would have got much if anything finished this month. At least I managed to get the bulk of what I had planned done. And that was...
28 Night Goblin Archers from the Warhammer Fantasy Battle 4th Edition box set!
|Here they are lined up in black undercoat behind a test piece to get the colour scheme right|
|'Da Yellaz' ranked up in front of the set of hills Dave the Scenery Savant made for me|
They are a sister unit to one that was already painted, which was itself just carrying on the black and red paint job that the previous owner had started.
|Here you can see Da Redz as the yarrived in the post. I decided to just upcycle them rather than satrting again. They were pretty close to the colour scheme I had in mind anyway.|
|See, they are just as terrible from the back as they are from the front|
|Both units badly need command. Large mobs of gobbos going around without any direction like this is why the yare so easily bullied into things they'd rather not do. Of course having command doesn't help that much either, but...|
|Hopefully you get the sense of them being two distinct units, but from the same tribe or army|
|I wanted for a different look for the eyes, not just red like I tend to for my Warhammer greenskins. I thought they should be beady so I went for dark blue with a very light grey fleck, I think it has worked OK.|
|I really, really need to get a better camera/lighting set up.|
Scenery September Update!
I've also finished the 'Hut in the Swamp' I started as part of the Middlehammer group's Scenery September challenge, adding a mushroom garden around the two slime pools, and some seasonal pumpkin heads around the entrance. Ultimately, it still looks like a box turned upside down and painted brown, but I'm only aiming for producing usable pieces that add something to our gaming at the moment, so I think it will do the job nicely.
|The Hut in the Swamp is going to feature in a future D&D session, but was made very much with longer term use for Warhammer in mind.|
|Assorted mushrooms and toadstools made from Milliput and lentils. Snake made from left over green stuff.|
|The slime pools were made with a hot glue gun. The photos don't show the colour variation, but there was still a lot that could have been done to improve them.|
|The pumpkin lanterns are press moulded from the head of The Carver from Malifaux|